Sunday

Simple Soups - sweet potato and red pepper

I am feeling slightly healthy again after catching some un-known virus the doctor described as "significant". My poor Mum is suffering now, so I have assigned myself the task of soup-making.

Today: Sweet potato and roasted red pepper

When it comes to soup-making the quantities used are fairly approximate, so bear with me.

- 3 smallish sweet potatos
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 medium white onion
- a few dashes of olive oil
- spices to taste, I used cayenne pepper and nutmeg
- stock, I used a cube and boiling water





1. Peel and dice the potatoes. Chop the peppers and onion. Roast the peppers with a drizzle of oil shaken over them. Mine went in for about 45 minutes at 150C in a fan assisted oven. Basically until they are soft and sweet smelling.





2. Meanwhile, gently fry the onion on a medium heat in a large saucepan in a dash of oil. Stir in the sweet potato, followed by the stock cube and spices. Pour in the boiling water to cover the potato, but this really depend on how thick or thin you like your soup - you can always add more water later, or throw in a few red lentils to thicken it.





3. Cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes, and then blend. Not to worry if you don't have a blender, just simmer for as long as you can and then attack it with a masher. Once the potato mixture is smooth, add the peppers and blend in a little. Return to the heat, and serve!





I had mine with a toasted wholemeal muffin. It's also good served over rice. Enjoy!




(I am off to eat more).

No comments:

Post a Comment