Wednesday

April, May, June Crafting

Catching up on my creative-a-day completed projects posts from last year.

April

I had an amazing first week of April crafting-wise as I finished TWO projects!

A warm woolly purple dress for Ivy. I'd originally bought this fabric in Autumn, planning to make the dress as a birthday present, but got to the point in the pattern where I had to make bias binding and got overwhelmed and put it in a box for a few months. Forced myself to finish it and it was a lot easier and quicker than I thought! Felt quite empowered by the process!


And something for me. Crocheted slippers. We started making these in our Steiner playgroup, but I didn't get very far with it during the sessions as Ivy would cling to me like a koala bear, so I had to finish them at home which meant figuring out how to do it myself. Lots of undoing and redoing and finally got two slippers that look alike enough and fit my feet! No photos though.

This was Kwojo's idea as we have a large tea collection and some of the boxes are so pretty it seems a shame to recycle them. A tea collage which now hangs in the kitchen entrance. It was nice to do something together, although I learnt that Kwojo is even more indecisive than me!


I finally started our family photo album. Well, it's a continuation really as I put the album together for Kwojo's birthday when I was pregnant. This was quite a lovely process to go through as I went back and read through all of my journal entries from my whole pregnancy so that I could have something to say about each week. Very glad to have kept that record, and glad to have remembered to take a photo each week too!




May

This was for a community art exhibition called 88 Cakes which was held at Bubbahub as part of the Southbank Arts Trail. The challenge was to make a cake on the theme of motherhood, and I nearly didn't do it because I'm just not that into baking. So I didn't bake, and I sewed instead. And the result was what I like to call Conceptual Coasters. Inspired by the milestone that had recently been reached of having to share my cake with Ivy and no longer being able to distract her with her own healthy snacks, followed by the dilemma of do I want to eat cake more than I don't want her to eat cake? Do I give up cake or let her eat cake? Our compromise was carrot cake. Hopefully it is also obvious that these coasters are about more than just sharing cake. I did a lot of hand sewing for this which was really relaxing (surprisingly) and also make it feel like quite the labour of love. It was a wonderful feeling to be part of a collective art exhibition, scary to have something I'd created 'out there', and really reassuring to hear the positive feedback I got! AND, they sold. SOMEONE BOUGHT SOMETHING I MADE.


My necklace branch. A stick found in the park, several small nails hammered into it and a few big ones to attch it to the wall. A quick, simple and very satisfying project. I love having my necklaces hanging up, they don't get tangled or forgotten about, and they I get to see their prettiness all the time!


My Mum bought a bear in a charity shop for Ivy to have at their house, but she didn't think much of the scarf it came with so she asked me to crochet one in the same colours as Ivy's scarf.


June

Our good friends got married, so I made them bunting.


And a card.


I also helped make a sash for her wedding dress, but I don't have any pictures of it (it was a bit of a last minute figure it out as we go along panic project).

For the wedding party, Ivy insisted she needed a crown, so I quickly sewed this from felt and leftover bunting tape. She wore it for about five minutes and then never again.


A painted birthday card for a very special one year old in my life.


The Birth Day photos in our family photo album.


Another coaster. I call this a Greetings Coaster. This followed a conversation about how it's strange that birthday cards are such a big deal in this country, and often more important than a present in a way, even though they don't do much and cost quite a bit. So, this is a coaster, which also has a greeting on. Pretty, and useful.




No comments:

Post a Comment